Life Changing Event

I'm getting my hair cut today for the first time in almost a year. I just don't go for regular hair cuts. I don't know why. Partially, it's because I spent most of my kid hood wishing for really long hair, like Jane Seymour long, like to the floor long. And so I would never cut it and it would grow, but it would be all straggly and crazy. And then I would decide to get it cut and remember what it's like to have a hair style, but then slowly forget as the cut grew out and I started to want it long again. I really couldn't tell you how much of wanting it long was because I liked it that way, or because I thought guys liked it that way. I had a dream last night that my hair was to my waist and it surprised me, because and I hadn't realized it had been growing for that long.

I'm a little embarrassed to go to this new hair cutting guy, because I feel like I need to explain to him that I realize I have a bad dye job. That my hair is multi-colored and not in a good way. This is because I go gray so quickly and when you combine that with my impatience about taking half an hour to color it or not wanting to pay $100 to have it done every six weeks, you get something that is not of this earth. But I will resist the urge to apologize. I'm sorry, but I'm trying not to say "I'm sorry" so often.

Here is how it looks right now, today. Not as long as I thought. I will take a picture after and we can compare, but always say that the haircut looks much better.


The other thing that happens when I go to get my hair cut is that I am at the complete mercy of the stylist. I usually don't go in with an idea other than wanting it to look as beautiful as possible and requiring no care to have it remain that way. I basically just tell them to do whatever they want short of shaving up the back of my neck or giving me a bowl cut like I had for most of sixth grade.

Okay, here is the result. I do not know why my phone camera insists on this soft fuzzy lighting, but I'm sure it's something I could fix easily if I spent more than 30 seconds on it. This is me after the hair cut.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short story by Lauren Groff, "At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners"

Candyman: Race, Class, Sexuality, Gender, and Disability

Consumed